Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Burn in Photo I created

Ok I finally found one of my pieces I did for my Photography II class in Edison State College last year.  The project we were working on was to do burn in/ dodging images onto another photo. This piece is part of the work I did, the stencil and graffiti are not part of the original photo. I exposed the negative of the wall onto the photo paper first, then I placed a stencil I created on top of it and then exposed light on top of that stencil. When I put the photo paper into the developer this is the result. I remember working on this and figuring out how I can pull this off with out over exposing the background. Because if I just placed the stencil and leave the rest of the area blank, the light would cause the rest of the photo to go dark. So what I did is place the stencil on top of a blank photo paper then exposed that to light, devloped it and this became my stencil.


This is the stencil that I created so you get an idea of what I'm talking about, I designed it to be backwards so I could just lay it on top of the already exposed photo paper and the letters would come out in the correct order and not backwards. I think it worked our really well since the only part that was exposed whas the white areas and kept the rest of the background photo intact. 

Ever since watching the documentary "Exit Through the Gift Shop", I have been infatuated with  Street Art.  I've always like graffiti but the street art shows a side that people don't always get to experience.  Yes I do know that vandalism is a crime and don't reccomend or encourage it.  This is my "safe" version of street art/ graffiti.

The location of the wall is actually at Coconut Point Mall in Estero, FL.  It is behind the store called GQ'z or Men's Palace. If you go there you will see that this stencil isn't there or any signs of being painted over in case you don't believe me.

I have some more photos that I attempted with the burning and dodging techniques that I will attempt to place later on during the month. I found making these type of photos to be rather difficult and exciting to do since I was working with film photography and didn't use photoshop or any other type of editing software to creat the photos. If I could ever get back into a film studio I would do more of things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment